HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

The similarities are striking

I read this blog called Jeremiah's Vanishing New York by Jeremiah Moss, and it just came to light that Jeremiah is really Griffin Hansbury, who had been using the pseudonym of Jeremiah Moss for the 10 years he's been publishing Vanishing New York. He was interviewed by the New Yorker here.

But that's not the point of this post. It has to do more with our similarities. Griffin is unhappy with the constant changes in New York City, he moved into the East Village, felt comfortable and at home there but as we know, the East Village is one of the most gentrified areas of NYC and it's an ongoing thing that keeps morphing.

I of course, feel the same about Coconut Grove. But I didn't start the Grapevine to bitch and moan, although it has turned into the Gripevine to some people over the years. 

Griffin feels that Vanishing New York blog has served its purpose and one reason is that the competition often beats him to the punch. I feel the same about the Grapevine. There is not much to write about these days and as for being beat to the punch, my complaint has always been that I beat other publications to the punch, then they take the stories, re-write them and make them their own. 

As for being anonymous, my first year doing the Grapevine I was anonymous, but not for any other reason than that I grew up in the newspaper biz and the story was the thing, not the editor. I didn't really think it was important as to who was writing the news, the news was the thing. I only revealed myself because I tried to encourage commenters to not be anonymous and how could I expect that of them if I was anonymous.

Griffin used to post twice a day, five days a week in Vanishing New York and he will lighten his load now. I, believe it or not, would publish seven days a week up to 7 to 10 stories a day for a number of years! That was up to 70 stories a week, all based in 33133! I don't know how I did it, but I was strict about keeping all stories about Coconut Grove. The archives hold about 13,000 separate posts!

I lightened the load over the years, not because of the work, but I found that if people didn't read the Grapevine daily, they would miss most of the stories. The stories were moving and posting too fast and people couldn't keep up with them. Friends would ask me, "Did you hear about such and such." And I would say, "Yes, I posted that last week." Or they would ask, "Did you hear about this and that?" And I would say, "Yes, I posted that last Tuesday," and so on. So I realized I should not break my back posting stories that people weren't seeing and I lightened the posting frequency.

Anyway, like Griffin, I would like to make changes. I guess I'll publish stories when I have them, which seems to be daily, but may not always be. I do seem to come up with something on a daily basis, so we'll see.

Anyway, I just thought there was such a parallel between Vanishing New York and the Grapevine that I thought that it was interesting.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the Grapevine....it is the place I can keep up to date with the happenings around the Grove. Please continue you are important.

June 20, 2017 8:13 AM  
Anonymous Nancy said...

Hey Tom,

The Grapevine is the first place I go to when I start looking at my phone in the morning. I look forward to see what's going on on the Grove and a lot of times it informs me of things I didn't know were going on and I thought I was in the loop!

Sure there's a lot of gripes and nasty feedback at times just can't take it internally people aren't going to change, everyone has an opinion and it can be nice or negative. I appreciate you taking the time to keep us up to date with events and changes to our village so keep up the good work!!

Thanks,
Nancy

June 20, 2017 8:56 AM  
Anonymous Robert Sullivan said...

I have 16 bookmarks that I open every single morning and look through as I am having my coffee. The Coconut Grove Grapevine is one of them and is my primary means of staying informed about Grove issues.

btw, I, also, would appreciate people not choosing to be anonymous when commenting. Why can't people say what is on their mind and not be ashamed or afraid of the feedback after doing so?

June 20, 2017 10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two people that like to live in the past! Sorry...it is not that way!

June 20, 2017 4:46 PM  
Anonymous Nancy said...

To Anonymous 4:46 what are talking about? We were just thanking Tom for his input on the Grove news and events. Talk about NEGATIVE people and comments!

Thanks again Tom!

June 20, 2017 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home