HOME | CALENDAR |  33133 STORE |  AD RATES
Welcome to the Grapevine

News you can use. - Sunlight is the best disinfectant

Sunday, March 11, 2018

I'm all flummoxed this morning

I got up early today to go to the gym, actually, it wasn't early because I overslept because of Daylight Saving Time. I hate Daylight Saving Time.

Anyway, a lot of the Grove was blocked. On South Bayshore Drive, it was closed completely, at first I thought there was an accident, but it seemed to be FPL fixing the wires, one might have fallen.

This was at 17th Avenue. Then on 17th Avenue, one lane was blocked due to tree trimming.

Later on I attempted to go to McDonald's to get breakfast and of course Bird Avenue is an obstacle coarse now. 


I know someone calls me a hypocrite for going to McDonald's. They say that I always talk up the mom and pops in the Grove and am going to McDonald's. I can understand their concern, but I do spend most of my money on mom and pops in the Grove and sometimes on weekends McDonald's is the only place to grab a quick, cheap breakfast.

For years I would overpay for breakfast at the Bookstore and I knew it, but I did it because I liked what they had and I felt I was supporting them, now they are a lost cause. But at other places in the Grove I spend $15 for pastrami sandwiches (with tip) and $16 for burgers, one place even charges for sink water! So I do spend a lot of money in Center Grove.

At McDonald's I get breakfast for $3.21. Where else in the Grove can I do that? And I mostly go for the coffee, I like their coffee.

I am sure the person who complained and called me a hypocrite was a restaurant owner in Center Grove who felt slighted. But know what? I feel slighted that not one restaurant owner in the Grove supports the Grapevine with an ad. It's the right thing to do, but I am passed over all the time. Also, dare I say that restaurant owners here don't spend a dime on the community. Not on purpose, but by design - they are tied to their businesses 24/7 it seems so they don't have time to go out and spend money on other restaurants. At least I do.

YOU MAY NOT LIFT THE PHOTOS & TEXT. IT'S COPYRIGHTED INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. YOU CAN HOWEVER SHARE A STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA BY USING THE LINKS HERE.
For linking to this one story, just click on the time it was posted & just this story will open for sharing - only through social media. Not copying and pasting.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you have a right to go wherever you want. Don’t pay attention to what other people say. Who cares?

March 11, 2018 5:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you! Traffic and construction noise are unusually wearisome this winter. And, McDonald's has great coffee and is the only inexpensive egg sandwich in Center Grove. If someone else can point me to an egg sandwich for under $5, I will make haste to the establishment selling it.

March 11, 2018 5:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen to that!!

March 11, 2018 6:41 PM  
Blogger REID PREATT said...

Why is the bookstore a lost cause, just curious. I have not been there since closing but. Micie D''s I may eat at home but it does work. I would never pay 3.50 for a coffee either.

March 11, 2018 10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The unfortunate grove mentality of business owners,is to consider the community as elite.All restaurants that come and go,those that are here are definitely pricey to say the least. We lost Cheesescake factory,which is always consistant,grand sharable portions,great service,and great reasonable specials daily,page 8 of their menu .Duffys not the greatest,but super specials of all kinds across the board,extremely normal reasonable.Heaven forbid a Panera Bread,an Applebees,a Five guys. TOOJAYS,So many other National but unique chain establishments.The Brickell and Mary Village area have numerous small sharp efficient 7/11s within blocks of each other They are different than the old sloppy 7/11s of the 80s.One in Center grove to walk to for Bev,coffee,snacks,hot items,Quick staples would be an asset.But below the"grove"standards.Of course rents are beyond outrageous,and owners would rather vacant space than budge. The building that originally housed Johnny Rockets Vacated all and it sits looking as part of a dismal disaster,no progress,no signage to show what the new look will be,if there really is one underway.I remember back to the Mayfair Days trying out a ridiculous elite style Burdines,basics werent even available,linens,housewares.Boutique shops with adress neatly lying on the floor,and not a customer in sight.Never to have cosidered anything of a "normal" lifestyle consumer. And so it goes tons of new offices coming soon.Awesome residency in a Beautiful office park, i guess is the new reality.

March 12, 2018 9:50 AM  
Blogger Nelson Grovite said...

Between the noise and construction, Coconut Grove is not easy to navigate. I agree with your assessment on the Bookstore. It was a warm, happy place..now it has 5 items on the menu, rude service and a new owner that walks around like queen bee(never have I heard her ask anyone, "how was your meal?", "any suggestions on how to improve?"..nothing.) I am so sad about this, as I have been an avid supporter of the bookstore. And yes, I will not pay 3.50 for lukewarm mediocre coffee. I am very disheartened by this, as I was originally thrilled that the bookstore had been saved.

PS..what can I do to help the Grapevine continue with your mission?

March 12, 2018 10:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The current bookstore is cold, boring, and neither a decent book store or restaurant. Nor is it a place to have a cup of coffee or a glass of wine with anyone. It can't touch the old one on any demension. The old one is sorely missed.

March 12, 2018 4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home